What Do You Know About SUU’s Department of Communication?
Many students at Southern Utah University often wonder what a degree in Communication is all about. Even you may not be aware of some of the programs that are influenced by the activities of the students. This segment will give you a little better understanding of the department and the communication program.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATION
- The Department of Communication at Southern Utah University is part of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Communication is the 7th highest enrolled major at Southern Utah University, conferring approximately 5% of all bachelor degrees.
- Beginning Fall 2012, the department will offer three areas of emphasis for undergraduate studies: Strategic Communication, Media Studies, and Communication Studies. The department also offers a minor in Communication.
- The department offers a Master of Arts in Professional Communication.
- The department houses 12 faculty members, four adjunct lecturers, one professional-in-residence, and five graduate teaching assistants.
- Faculty members specialize in disciplines such as public relations, advertising, journalism, speech, interpersonal communication, broadcasting, and communication studies.
- Art Challis is the Department Chair.
- The Speech and Presentation Center is designed to assist students, faculty, staff and community members in the writing and presentation of speeches. The center is staffed by a director, graduate students and interns who provide assistance as needed.
- KSUU-FM (Power 91) is the University’s radio station. The station programs student talk shows, a full schedule of Alternative Rock music, and is the flagship for University athletic broadcasts.
- SUTV is the University’s cable TV station. It operates 24 hours per day with programs including newscasts, university and community events, concerts and other public interest programs.
- University Journal, in its printed, electronic, audio and video formats, is published by and for the student body of Southern Utah University.
- Centurium Consulting Group (CCG) is a fully operational student-operated advertising group that services clients within the community.
- Lambda Pi Eta is the National Honor Society in Communication chapter at Southern Utah University.
SUU Department of Communication